Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Second Day of Class

Today our class centered around building our Furl Accounts as we browsed through articles relating to education and technology. Although I began class not having even heard of Furl, I can honestly say that my initial anxiety about it has dissipated as everything appeared simple after originally setting up our account. One of the articles in particular that I added to my Furl account caught my attention. http://www.newhorizons.org/strategies/technology/allen.htm

This article discusses how nanotechnology, which many of us have probably at least heard about in the news the last few years, is and will continue affecting our K-12 educational system. This very informative article spurred my memory, as I found myself remembering the first time I had heard of nanotechnology. During my freshman year of college up in Albany, the College of Nanoscience & Technology was built right down the street from my St. Rose dorm. It was right around that time that nanotechnology was thrust into the news and into the public's awareness. After reading this article, it was very interesting to see just how far it has come along.

4 comments:

Vincent said...

I have always found nanotechnology quite fascinating and have done my best to keep up with its potential advantages, but there are too many. I have no doubt that this technology will change everything that we do. However, I did not realize how practical they have been able to implement some of its more basic uses already such as in clothes. I actually bought a pair of nanotechnology pants at target for only 15$ last year and I was quite impressed, especially as someone who works in the restaurant industry. These pants looked like normal cotton pants, repelled all water based liquids (even an entire glass of fruit punch could be thrown on these light colored pants without them getting wet or stained) and they are also very good at resisting wrinkles. It is impressive how far they have come with this new technology in such a short period of time.

Janet said...

I'm glad the Furl account was not too daunting and that you found such an interesting article. Thanks for sharing it.

Anne said...

Nicole this doesn't have to do with the article you posted, sorry. But I really do love the pictures that are on your blog account. They look like professional pictures, something you would see in a magazine!They're beautiful! I'm glad to see that I wasn't the only one using pictures, I thought for a second about taking them off. Glad to see I'm not the only one posting them!
Anne

Gwinyeo Kwak said...

I think using a furl with a class is helpful for students to share their ideas and comments. just like us.
I also like your beautiful pictures.